To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006
On that day:

Down

I'm feeling the need to spill my guts a bit. I've been having a rough time for the last six weeks or so. You see, I was on an antidepressant called Effexor for about a year and decided that I didn't need something so strong anymore. The Dr gave me directions on how to wean off the drug: halve the dose for four weeks, halve it again for four weeks, then take it every other day for a final four weeks. He warned me that getting off Effexor is tough and that I might experience actual physical withdrawal symptoms. Yeah, that was an understatement. For the first two or three days after lowering the dose each time, I am physically tormented and feel like complete and utter hell. Then my body slowly adjusts and I begin to feel better. I figured the worst of the issue was over. But then I started having problems with my memory, energy, tolerance, stress and a number of other things. It was even affecting my job. What was going on? Hubby did a little research for me and discovered that there is a class action suit pending against the makers of Effexor due to the problems people have when weaning from it's use. There are countless boards discussing the symptoms and issues. Many people have ended up in psych wards, some are addicted for life and can never stop. This is big stuff. The makers definitely need to warn the public.

To add to the problem, we that need to be on antidepressants not only have to deal with the effects of weaning, but we have to go without a mood-sustaining dose/drug for at least three months. Then we have to wait for the new drug to take effect- usually three to six weeks. For people like me, life is rough enough without meds, let alone additional negative side effects!

So here I am, feeling very short-tempered, irritable to the max, too little energy to laugh, paranoid, fatigued, angry, insecure and sad. I can't stop thinking about how my actions are affecting those around me. And feeling terrible about it. I know that I'm continually saying things I don't mean, or I say them in the wrong way, leaving people offended and irritated with me. I worry that I'm damaging relationships. It sucks.

Why can't I just be normal and not need happy pills?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home