To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Saturday, June 17, 2006
On that day:

Succinct

Had a couple instances recently that made me stop and think. Twice in one day, I tried explaining my feelings to my family without much success. Both times, a family member was able to say "oh, you mean....?" and turn my clumsy attempt at explanation into a short and sweet statement. A statement that completely summed up what I was saying.

One- I was trying, ineffectually, to describe why the BodyWorld exhibit was so disturbing to me. As I walked through it, I kept thinking "what if Hubby had donated his body? I could be looking at my true love in a museum." And I wanted to know how these otherwise healthy people died. And why a pregnant woman would donate her body and not allow the baby a chance to live. I rambled on and on 'til my sister-in-law said "You mean, you saw the people, not the bodies." Yep. That's just what I said.

Later, I was talking about someone we had all seen that day and was asking if I was like her. "Like how?" They asked. "Well, she's just so mean, snappy, and critical, etc." "Oh, you mean the angry one?" Hubby asks. Yeah. That's what I said, only not so succinctly. The angry one.

That's something I'd like to work on. I think I'll do that.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Jules said...

For all the communicating I do (aka talking, HA) there are times when that happens to me too.

I didn't see the bodies as people so much as you did, but I can certainly understand your perspective. My Mom and I went to BodyWorlds together and both found it absolutely fascinating...but that one of the pregnant woman was a mystery to me. I wondered if she died in an accident or something else quick like an anneurism? That was the one that really mystified me the most. I guess it's just the accepted idea that when new life is coming, life isn't supposed to end.

See, now I've rambled again. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home