To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Monday, September 04, 2006
On that day:

Relativity

Here I am, sitting on my ass, feeling too exhausted just from all the to-dos running around in my head to do a single thing about any of them. Depressed. Tired. Lonely.

And yet, I have this more practical side of my brain which reminds me that, all-in-all, my life is actually fairly nice. I mean, it would be nice to have more money- being able to buy groceries and have some left over to pay bills is a fantasy of mine, after all- and having more time to spend with my children would be beautiful too. But, I do have two glorious sons, am married to my high school sweetheart, have a job that I enjoy, plenty of close family nearby, my health, a home in a safe country, ......

So why am I depressed and deflated? Why should I be so special as to have the permission to feel this way when I really have no reason to? Why indeed.

It occurs to me that everyone's experience is absolutely relative to their own life. I feel as though I am not strong inside, can't beat this depression on my own. But maybe, were I faced with some catastrophe, I would find I am indeed strong. When I find myself irritated by other's complaining about something I find trivial, I need to step back, realize that I have no idea what has happened in their life before this moment. And not judge.

And maybe not judge myself for being depressed either. Ah, there's something in that. I am terribly hard on myself. Need to be perfect. 'Cause who would like me if I were anything less? And yet, I don't see the same flaws in others around me. Guess I really do need to step back and not judge.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of us are perfect, and you are not alone. Your friends have more in common with you than you realize, and talking about it can help! Let's get together soon!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jules said...

I read a funny line in Tom Robbins "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" today...it said "Life is hard if you think it's hard."

It made me chuckle when I thought about how I had just posted the other day about how if you LOOK for the good in the world you'll often find it, and vice versa.

I know it's not all attitude, but sometimes it can be. When depression hits and can't be explained sometimes it is biological, and not necessarily "situational".

Sometimes life just feels complicated because it isn't always what we thought it would be, or there is something nagging on the back burner that we haven't given our full attention to, like needing to give ourselves time alone.

Usually when I find myself with the blues, I try to think of what it is that's bugging me, and when it's not something close and controllable, sometimes it's just the state of the world. That's when I realize how lucky I am.

If I'm not worried about my relationships or feeding myself: Then I have little to really worry about. And somehow that makes me feel better.

((HUGS))

Jules

 

Post a Comment

<< Home