Bunk bed
| We finally got the boys a bunk bed, and we thought all was well- AW needed a big boy bed, HL dreamed of sleeping up top- didn't we kill two birds with one stone? No, this is turning out to be a lesson in unforeseen consequences of having our dreams granted- sometimes, dreams coming true can be terribly scary. Yes, AW got his big bed, but now he is overwhelmed by the very thing he wanted- room with no walls. And HL wanted to be up top, not realizing how sad it would leave him- no more falling asleep with mommy by his side. These things are making for a rather difficult household these days; lots of crying and tantrums for no tangible reason, loads of negative emotions floating around. It's surprising how the little things in life can affect the whole of a young child. We have some problem-solving and transitioning ahead of us. With little ones, this can be tricky business- how does one tell if a distraught young boy needs discipline or TLC? Our M.O. seems to run in the order of discipline first, he needs to act like a big boy; then TLC next as we work out why he was so upset. So far, this seems to be working, but man, is it ever hard on mommy's heart to listen to the screaming, the hurt of her little babes. Just last night, HL and I figured out the reason why he is not happy in this new bed (because he has to fall asleep alone) and now I feel horrible about it. I worry that he takes it personally- does he think I don't want to lay down with him? Oh, it would break my heart if he thought I was choosing not to be with him. How do I solve this? He wants us both to fall asleep up top, but I'm not comfortable putting all that weight up there. HL won't sleep in the lower bed with AW because his little brother doesn't share the bed well (HL ends up getting kicked and pushed all over the bed). And if HL were fall asleep with us on the lower bed, I can't very well carry him up to his own bed afterward. Hmm... What to do? There's an answer out there somewhere, I just know there is... |


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home