To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Sunday, September 30, 2007
On that day:

Rocks

 

Do you see the bulge in my son's side pocket? It is chock-full of little rocks collected while walking in the mountains. In this picture, he is switching them from his left pocket to his right. Why? Who knows. But it HAD to be done. Right then and there. And when we got to the car, he needed to know exactly where they were. The next day, he pulled them all out and arranged them on the bed, talking to them as though they were friends.

When I think about it, I laugh at the absurdity of it. My young son is attached to a bunch of little, common, everyday rocks. It's ridiculous. But then I recall that I did the same exact thing. In fact, I still will collect an outstanding rock now and then. Hubby did it, and HL does it too.

What is it about rocks? We're surrounded by them everyday, everywhere we go practically- so why the fascination with collecting them?

Is it the thrill of finding that little bit of sparkle? The satisfaction of compiling a collection so quickly? Maybe it's the connection to nature, or the realization that you're holding something possibly millions of years old.

I have been pondering this for two days now and I still have absolutely no clue...

But I do know that I will continue to enjoy aiding my sons in finding those perfect rocks.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Check out one of my favorite children's books featuring those wonderful rocks... "Everyone needs a rock" by Byrd Baylor. Its great! Its also from the 1970s and might be out of print, but my local library has it. Yours might, too! I think all of you will like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home