To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Friday, February 08, 2008
On that day:

Nightmares

HL has been having issues with persistent nightmares waking him up. He asked me the other night why this is happening to him, so we tried to think up ways to prevent the bad dreams. Since his nightmares always revolve around death and destruction, we discussed focusing on happy thoughts throughout the day. As it seems his mind is fixated on destruction and violence (such as Lego Star Wars and Superheroes), I figured this would be a challenge.

But I had no idea just how much of a challenge until a follow-up conversation with him as we were laying down last night:

"H, what happy thoughts are you thinking as you fall asleep?"

"I can't think of any..."

"How about building Legos or something?"

"Oh, yeah! I could think about building a fire-breathing dragon!!" (Mommy sighs)

"I was thinking more about building something else- something like boats, maybe."

"Like the two boats I made at Grandma's house. But one of those got bombed and the other one was destroyed in a whirlpool...."

1 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try doing progressive relaxation. Tell HL to relax his toes, then his feet, then his ankles, then his calves, then his knees. This may help him take his mind off all the death and destruction. He'll probably be asleep by the time you get to arms and shoulders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home