To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008
On that day:

Lights out

Ever since I can remember, I have had great difficulty falling asleep. I vividly recall laying in bed as a little girl, my mind going a hundred miles an hour, skipping from one thought to another, escalating into a panic about the future. As an adult, I have learned to manage it by reading a book until my eyes refuse to remain open. But, I have never learned to actually prevent the issue, or fix it in any way. I just tolerate it.

Now, I am having to watch my eldest start down that same sleepless path, and while I can deal with it in myself, it is killing me to see him struggle through it. At this point, fortunately, he doesn't seem to feel the panic I used to. But his brain does go non-stop just as mine did. And once a little scary thought does get in there, it grows and grows. Almost nightly he is turning on his light and reading- sometimes til well after ten- and often begs me to lay down with him so he can fall sleep. So far, it doesn't appear to be affecting his school or life; although it does catch up with him after several nights and then he falls asleep earlier.

Oh, how I wish I could just wrap my arms around him each night and grant him instant, peaceful sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home