To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Saturday, November 01, 2008
On that day:

Healthcare

This is another post over which I have vacillated. It regards a subject that, initially, has been difficult for me to admit to others. Upon discussing it with hubby, however, I have decided that my hesitation stems only from my pride, and thus needs to be humbled....


With hubby still in college full-time, finances only continue to get tighter and tighter. Because of this, we have acquired state-sponsored health care for our children. AW is now on Medicaid, while HL is on CHP+ (because he is older). While needing to do this has bruised my pride, it has peaked my curiosity for knowledge; here is my opportunity to experience firsthand the welfare system which plays so prominently in America's politics and society today.

In the beginning, the system was difficult to deal with, in that it took 60 days to procure coverage for my children. During that time, AW had an awful case of croop, and HL continues to struggle with his asthma. On a macro level, I completely understand their need to be thorough and to verify that we really are eligible for this benefit. However, on a micro level, it was scary to go without coverage- especially with respiratory issues! Since actually receiving our cards, though, we have had no issues; doctor's offices have treated us just the same as a family with individual coverage. I have seen no judgement or condescension whatsoever. In fact, we were both very happy with the Dr- he was knowledgable, amiable, and connected well with our son. It is not often your 6 year old is laughing with the Dr!

I am utterly grateful for this benefit provided by our government, and definitely see the need for it. That said, I would like to see this program focus more on getting people back on their feet, not just handing out help. I believe that attending college full-time constitutes a justification for using the system, especially knowing that we will get off it as soon as he gets a job upon graduation. I have not seen any evidence of them wanting to assist people to be self-sufficient, which leaves me disappointed. I am a strong believer in the "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime" adage.

2 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When your brother and I used welfare programs, Sue told us that she would rather the $$ went to us then someone she didn't know. We were off in less than a year because I started teaching. We used LEAP and WIC. Didn't qualify for anything else. Another story!

LAL

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, we are applying for LEAP this week, but nowadays you can't get WIC w/out a Dr's note stating that I am not eating well. Thanks to generous family, I have NO problem eating! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home