To view this blog as it is meant to be seen,

Get Firefox!

Hey, need a .com? How 'bout a .net, .org, or even .name?
Check out Domainsecure.com today!
Search here for the lowest prices around.

Search: 

Word of the Day

If you are searching for my writings on alcoholisim, visit the links found on the right sidebar under the heading Alcoholism.

Friday, December 26, 2008
On that day:

Being broke is a GOOD thing?

Hubby and I, of course, struggle with our current lack of income, but we also see a lot of good coming from it....

Our boys appear to be learning to be money-conscious. On the one hand, it is a bit disheartening to see that our son chooses what toys to circle in the Walmart catalog by their price. This is what we hear from HL: "Hey Mom! I found a Lego set that is only $4.99! I want that one" or "This set is really cool, but it's $30, that's too expensive." However, the flipside is that he is very conscious of the fact that it is important to watch costs- something I hope will stick with him forever. I also hope that AW will pick up on it as he gets older. Hearing his brother say these things repeatedly will definitely help.

Another good thing is that our children (usually) appear quite grateful- except when it comes to clothes. ;) Case in point: at HL's cub scout XMas party, the Tiger cubs got "presents" from Santa which actually turned out to be just the beads they earned and a bit of candy. One little tiger was in tears because he was expecting an actual gift, a toy. We were a bit trepidacious when HL eventually opened his box, expecting more disappointment. Instead, we heard him exclaiming how much stuff he got! He rattled off the list of different candies he received and said "I got a lot of stuff with my bead!" Phew.

Plus, Christmas was decidedly less fortuitous this year than previously- even from other family members. But our children didn't even seem to notice. They will both tell you they had a GREAT Christmas without skipping a beat.

Whoever thought that being so broke would be a GOOD thing?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home