Dad 'N Lad Cake Auction
| Now that he is 6, HL has joined the Cub Scouts. He is ecstatic! Having no idea what to expect, I have been a little surprised by the whole thing. Being a den of nothing but newbies, we are kinda punting and learning as we go. But, I do really enjoy all the parents from our den and the boys certainly LOVE going to den meetings! Back in November, they had a "Dad 'N Lad Cake Auction" in which the scout and his dad were to bake and decorate a cake to be auctioned off. Hubby, of course, waited til the very last minute to even think about it, so I kept getting messages at work like "Do we even have a cake pan?" " A cooling rack?" "How about a mixer?" The really sad thing is that I don't have time to bake anymore either, so even I did not know the answer to most of his questions. Despite the chaos involved, Hubby and the boys prevailed and created quite the colorful, party-like, yummy tasting cake! As it was quite obvious that the boys did the decorating, I was a little trepidacious entering the venue that night. Seeing the perfect, gourmet-like cakes from the other kids in our den, my concern grew. But, apparently the judges didn't care about perfection, they liked to see that the child did the work.... ... and awarded HL FIRST PLACE for his age!! Oh, were we all so very proud! The auction itself was rather enjoyable, albeit stressful for us auction-virgins. An actual auctioneer volunteers his time each year, so we got to experience the real thing- which no one in our family has yet done. This auctioneer was not only competent, but also very funny and really connected with the kids. Everyone had a good time. |


1 Comments:
Michael absolutely loves scouts! I missed the 1st year for him, so I was glad to see you guys started out early as a Tiger! We are very fortunate to have a den leader who is really good! Because all of the boys in his den are "older", they will be able to move straight to boy scouts after only one year of Webelos. Things may get tough or involved with HL's scouts, but try and keep him active in it (there have been times we couldn't keep up and thought of quitting)...who knows, maybe one of you will be a den leader some day! Deb
Post a Comment
<< Home